What is ferrosilicon used for?
What is ferrosilicon used for?
Ferrosilicon is a ferroalloy of silicon and iron, manufactured by DMS Powders. This Ferroalloy is used in a number of industrial, chemical and other applications and processes. Read more below about the different uses and applications of Ferrosilicon, or contact DMS Powders today for more information.
Uses of Ferrosilicon:
- Dense Media Separation: Ferrosilicon from DMS Powders is used for the Dense Media Separation of diamonds, a gravity-separation process used to separate diamonds from diamond-bearing material. The Ferrosilicon powder is mixed with water (in a cyclone) to form a mixture of a specific density. The diamond-bearing material is added to the mixture, which then facilitates the separation process. Heavier material will sink to the bottom, while materials of lighter density will rise to the top. This method is effective and cost-efficient, which is why it is used in diamond and mineral processing plants around the world.
Atomised FeSi: Coarse, Fine, Cyclone 60, Cyclone 40, DMS 70
Milled FeSi: 65D, 100D, 150D, 270D, 270F
- Deoxidising steel: Ferrosilicon is used in deoxidising steel, and other ferrous alloys. Ferrosilicon reduces metals from their oxides, and helps to prevent the loss of carbon.
- Other alloys: Ferrosilicon is used to manufacture other ferroalloys like Ferrochrome (which replaces the coke to produce a low-carbon Ferrochrome), pre-alloys like Magnesium ferrosilicon (MgFeSi).
- Metallurgical industry: Ferrosilicon is widely used in a number of applications in the metallurgy industry, including atomization, casting, melting and heavy media separation reactions.
- Electric industry: The electric industry uses Ferrosilicon as a source of pure silicon.
- Chemical industry: In the chemical industry, Ferrosilicon is required to manufacture silicon copper.
- Pidgeon process: Ferrosilicon is used in the Pidgeon process, which is one of the methods to produce magnesium from dolomite.
- Silicon steel: Ferrosilicon is used in the manufacturing if silicon steel, which is used in electrical power transformers, motors and generators.
For more information about the use of Ferrosilicon in Dense Media Separation processes, contact DMS Powders today.
Who is DMS Powders?
DMS Powders is a leading manufacturer and supplier of Ferrosilicon products. DMS Powders distribute Ferrosilicon to customers across the globe, and is a trusted Ferrosilicon exporter.
We manufacture Milled and Atomised Ferrosilicon variations, enabling our customers to find the right grade of Ferrosilicon for their specific application needs. Choose from the following Ferrosilicon products manufactured by DMS Powders:
- Milled Ferrosilicon: 65D, 100D, 150D, 270D, 270F
- Atomised Ferrosilicon: Coarse, Fine, Cyclone 60, Cyclone 40, DMS 70
Let the team from DMS Powders supply you with quality Ferrosilicon powders at competitive prices. Get in touch with DMS Powders today for more information about our products, and to place your order.
Read more about Ferrosilicon: