What We Do
During the preparation of graphitic irons, inoculation with Ferro silicon powder would be done that is possible by using small amount of highly oxidised particles like Aluminium, Barium, Bismuth, Calcium, Strontium, Zirconium as well as Cerium and Lanthanum. These elements have to be added as the Ferro silicon powder itself is not a very powerful inoculant
DMS Powders make use of Ferro silicon powder during Inoculation
- DMS Powders makes use of silicon powder during inoculation as it is a very necessary element in the manufacturing of many secondary elements such as cast iron, with the Ferro silicon powder assisting in the strengthening process thereof.
- The inoculation process itself is a very important factor as it minimizes under cooling and assists in the extension of the precipitation of graphite.
- This in turn minimizes the risk of shrinkage as well as flaws that could otherwise be found in carbide.
- It further helps with the production of reliable casts and therefore has a direct impact on the quality of cast iron produced.
- The process of inoculation should therefore be used during the manufacturing of all graphitic levels of the casting process.
This process of inoculation through the use of Ferro silicon powder can be used with many different irons of which one includes grey iron.
Atomised FeSi: Coarse, Fine, Cyclone 60, Cyclone 40, DMS 70
Milled FeSi: 65D, 100D, 150D, 270D, 270F
The Inoculation process of Grey Iron
Flake or Grey Iron is commonly found throughout all types of flake graphite with the active elements reacting positively with the MnS particles during the inoculation process with Ferro silicon powder. This allows for the creation of the needed crystals that would be important for the nucleation of the flake graphite itself.
This makes the introduction of these silicon elements very important as it will ensure that the base iron contains the right levels on MN and S to therefore assist with the nucleation process.
Inoculation of Ductile or S.G Irons
Within the base of all nodular graphite nuclei, silicates are also present which are modified by the elements such as Ferro silicon powder that in turn create the right amount f crystal structures for the possibility of precipitation of the nodular graphite. The right amounts of elements such as Sulphur amongst other elements is needed to achieve the best graphitisation.
DMS Powders prides itself in being one of the very few suppliers of Ferro silicon powder in Gauteng, without which these very important inoculation processes will not be possible within the mining industry.